These Coffee Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies are a perfect vegan treat that comes together quickly in a food processor. There are so many vegan butter alternatives on the market these days, but for a truly authentic taste and texture, I highly recommend the butter from Miyoko’s Creamery. The coconut oil-based product gives these cookies the ideal shortbread taste and texture typical of traditional dairy butter.
- 8 oz vegan butter, cut into cubes
- 4 oz coconut sugar
- 8 oz all-purpose flour
- 4 oz roasted hazelnuts, finely ground
- 1 ½ Tbsp instant coffee, finely ground
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a food processor, add butter and sugar. Pulse to combine, pausing to scrape down sides as needed, until fully combined and softened, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add flour, ground hazelnuts, ground coffee, and vanilla extract. Pulse until a dough is formed, about 30 seconds.
- Divide dough into 20 equal balls and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Using a cookie stamp, press dough balls down to desired thickness, about ¼” to ½”.
- Place cookies onto two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until deep golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes (see note).
- Remove from oven and place onto a cooling rack until thoroughly cooled.
Due to the coconut sugar, the cookies will have a darker appearance than a typical shortbread cookie.