Farro is an ancient grain that has a chewy texture and nutty flavor. It is reminiscent of barley but cooks in only 20 minutes. This hearty vegan grain salad combines farro with chunks of slightly spicy roasted sweet potato, massaged kale, and crunchy pepitas in a tangy vinaigrette.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” cubes
- ⅓ cup plus 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 ¼ tsp sea salt, divided
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups farro
- 3 Tbsp minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 bunches of kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup pepitas, roasted
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a large bowl, combine diced sweet potato with 2 Tbsp of the oil, ½ tsp of the salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. Stir well to combine. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until tender but still firm, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the farro. Combine water and ½ tsp of the salt in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Add farro and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until farro is tender but still chewy, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and drain any excess water if necessary.
- In a large bowl, combine hot farro, shallot, and garlic and stir well to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine kale, 1 Tbsp of the oil, and ½ tsp of the salt. Using your hands, knead or massage the kale until tender and softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add kale and sweet potatoes to farro and toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ⅓ cup of the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and remaining ¾ tsp of the salt and whisk until completely combined. Drizzle dressing over the salad and toss well to coat.
- Top salad with pepitas and serve.