These savory vegan cookies are herbaceous, lemony, and slightly cheesy thanks to the addition of nutritional yeast. Though shortbread dough is typically made with butter, chilled coconut oil is a perfect vegan substitute. The result is a tender and flaky cookie perfect for entertaining.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, ground flax seeds, nutritional yeast, rosemary, and sea salt several times to combine.
- Add coconut oil to food processor and pulse until you have a crumb-like mixture.
- With food processor running, drizzle in lemon juice and water and process until combined, taking care not to over-process.
- Form dough into two discs, wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until chilled, about 15 minutes.
- On a surface dusted with flour, roll out dough to ¼” thickness. Using a 1 ½” round cookie cutter, cut out cookies and place on two parchment-lined baking sheets (see note).
- Prior to baking, place baking sheets in refrigerator to chill until cookies are firm, at least 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies until golden-brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
If using different sized cookie cutters, baking time may need to be decreased or increased slightly depending on the size of the cookies.