Bright, delicate, and silky smooth, this Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is like springtime in a bowl. Filled with the fresh flavors of asparagus, peas, lemon, and dill, this simple soup is rendered luxuriously creamy thanks to the addition of a cashew cream sauce.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked at least 4 hours
- 5 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 bunches asparagus (about 3 lbs), trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup peas
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped dill
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions, celery, and 1/4 tsp of the salt. Stirring occasionally, cook until vegetables are softened and onion is translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cashew cream. Rinse and drain the soaked cashews. In a high speed blender, combine cashews, 1 cup of the broth, and nutritional yeast. Blend on high until completely creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add asparagus, peas, garlic, capers, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and remaining 3/4 tsp of the salt to the stock pot. Cook until asparagus is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 4 cups of the broth, lemon zest and juice, vinegar, and dill, stirring well to combine. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a high speed blender until very creamy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Return to pot.
- Add cashew cream to the soup and stir well to combine. Rewarm over medium heat.